What is "G" and Why Must I Suffer Its Ads?
So while watching some of the BCS football games, I kept seeing this ad with a bunch of sports stars promoting something called "G." No product, no description, just G. So, I looked online.
Well, it turns out that this is the new brand strategy of Gatorade. Which, looking at the sports stars in the commercials, makes sense. But, does it from a marketing standpoint?
Well, you have to consider two sides. First, do people go online like I do and investigate random commercials? Second, will random ads lead to greater publicity for products?
I have to admit, I don't drink Gatorade. Never cared for it. Then again, I am not their target market. But, that doesn't mean can't comment on this marketing strategy.
First, I don't think this will work like they think it will. G, Gatorade, it doesn't matter. The people that use Gatorade know what it is and so do those who don't use it. Shorten the name and it won't mean anything.
Second, these ads are annoying. Other than people who aren't fans and want to know what company just wasted their time, I don't think people will search to figure out what product "G" is. I am sure some people will assume G is Gatorade, but others will just shrug and forget it.
To show why this ad didn't work quite how the Gatorade people wanted, the first time I saw the ad I thought it was one of the fluff pieces one of the playing schools produced to convince students to attend that school. Never would I have placed it as a Gatorade ad.
0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home