Victimless Crimes ARE IMMORAL!
Here's the thing. I am rooting for Plaxico Burress to have all charges dropped relating to him having a gun in a night club and shooting himself. Why?
Well, first off. I believe permits are unconstitutional. Remember, all Americans have the rights to free speech and to bear arms. Would you think a permit to speak your mind is legal? Then why should exercising your right to a firearm require government permission?
However, my main reason is I think he should get off because that unethical bastard Elliot Spitzer did. (Pun not intended this time.) Burress is a famous athlete in a dangerous city; a gun kinda seems necessary. Spitzer was the Attorney General, the person who is responsible for upholding the law, as he broke the law. And yet, YET, he got away with it. (I don't think resigning means anything. If you take that route, could Burress quit the Giants and get off? Didn't think so!)
See, prostitution doesn't hurt anyone else; owning a gun doesn't either. Remember, Burress shot HIMSELF! If he had shot someone else, we wouldn't need a gun law to charge him; he would be charged with battery, just as if he hit a guy with a pool cue (no permit needed) or stabbed him with a fork (no permit needed). Why do we have this belief that guns are somehow something special? (I will agree to the reason being that the Second Amendment exists, but that begs the question, why was it necessary to adopt a right to own a gun over a right to own a fork or pool cue in the first place?)
I am a libertarian. If Plaxico owns a gun and doesn't shoot anyone else, I don't care. We have laws to punish violence no matter what weapon is used. If the state of NY doesn't feel Spitzer deserved jail time for his "victimless" crime, why should Plaxico be treated differently? No one seems to be asking that question BUT I AM!
UPDATE: So...this story just got really, REALLY interesting. I was watching ESPN and it turns out that one of Burress's teammates earlier in the week was forced at gunpoint to drive home to his gated community and then got robbed. Really?! Wow! Wonder if the teammate having a gun would have prevented that crime? Really interesting.
So I gotta ask, where the hell were the cops? Remember, and this is important, quite a few people say athletes shouldn't have guns and should leave protecting themselves to the police. So, where were the police? A little late to the party, eh? Will that force any of these critics to sing a different tune? NOPE! But, these people aren't criminals right? Guns are evil; that's all there is to it, right? No gun can ever prevent crime, eh? Yeah, thought so.
0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home