Thursday, November 06, 2008

Broadcast Networks Just Trying Too Hard

Okay, so while watching The Office on NBC, they promote "Angela and Andy's Wedding Site" and "Meredith's New Sexy Blog." But why? Why should I go online to read that stuff? I mean, isn't it bad enough I have to watch all their stupid ads? Why should I go support this network even more?

However, this isn't quite as bad as CBS on Monday nights. Shoot, what is the company? (Hehe, I can't even remember. Guess that ad buy was worthless!) Well, okay, there is some company that has this lady act like the host of that old Masterpiece Theater, you know how the guy sits and introduces things. Honestly, the lady sits and tells you WHAT YOU JUST SAW! Why exactly do I need that?

I don't know who the networks hire to gauge fan reactions but they suck. In what world would these suggestions be accepted by the audience? You would think that with the proliferation of DVRs, networks would do everything to NOT piss off viewers. Yeah, this ain't helping.

Now, some people might say I just poke holes, I don't try to offer solutions. Well, here goes.
  1. The first thing the networks need to realize is that there are just too many commercials. With the coming digital cross-over, less and less people get TV over the airwaves for free. So you know, the days of needing commercials is over. Start making shows longer and eliminating commercials.
  2. Stop promoting network shows! Just because I am watching one show doesn't mean I want to see the same dang promos for other shows. Guess what? At this point of the season, there is no reason networks have to promote shows. People will watch the ones they like, not what is promoted. I wonder if anyone has studied this scenario. I wonder how many people plan their TV viewing nights. (I know I have and my grandparents do too.) Do these promos work? I would wager good money, "No."
  3. Don't think that a network is "edgy," EVER! HBO is edgy; Fox cannot and never will be! It just isn't possible. Make shows that people enjoy and they will watch.
  4. Show the dang shows! Stop taking weeks off. I know the World Series or a Presidential debate is on. I don't care! You want me to watch your weekly shows, put them on EVERY week without reruns. I know this will be hard, but it is important. Remember, when people get hooked on a show, a week off can cool that enjoyment. Why risk it?
  5. Finally, don't assume that because Hollywood celebs are into something, ordinary Americans will be. I just read that a former TV host will bring together producers and writers to put climate change into prime time shows. THAT IS A HORRIBLE IDEA! People don't want to be preached to by people who have more but do less. And, that is before I point out that recent research points to climate change being the other way, global cooling.

There you have it. Some steps to help out network television. Does it matter? Probably not. Network TV is going down the drain and that is a GOOD thing. Most people pay for TV service so why do we think we need "free" channels that appeal to everybody? Doesn't that scream "it won't work" to anyone else?

Accept the end of network TV with relief. Good shows will get made and shown. I am not worried and neither should you.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home