Sunday, November 30, 2008

Another End to College Football, Another Story of Black Coaches

So of course, with the end of the regular college football season, here comes yet another story about the lack of black head coaches. Unfortunately, this article is written by someone who is kinda, well, dumb.

See, you always have to keep things in perspective. There are always stories about a lack of black NFL head coaches. The NFL even has a "racist rule," stating a minority must be interviewed. Now, why are there no college coaches? Maybe cause they are in the NFL? I don't know, but wouldn't that be a reasonable assumption? I would think of that before pulling out the old tired "Every body's racist, whah!!" line.

There is one quote from this article that I can't quite figure out. The story is about how this one black coach will be the only one after a couple others got fired and one quit. Here's Randy Shannon's quote.
“I think we all should be treated as coaches equally,” Shannon said. “But it’s just how society is. The minority deal is always going to be there.”

Umm...does that mean he doesn't want to be seen as a "black" head coach? That is what I am picking up. But, that doesn't really fit with the title of the piece, "Shannon: Seeing black coach number fall to 3 ‘sad’"

Umm...what the heck? I am going to give Coach Shannon the benefit of the doubt and just assume he got harassed by a racist writer. It wouldn't surprise me in the least though.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home