Tuesday, September 11, 2007

Hmmm...If Fighting Obesity is Your Goal, You Don't Eat Fast Food!

So in this article, a judge tossed a case requiring fast food places to put calorie content on menus. Now, there are a bunch of health Nazis fighting this one backing up law with only the restaurant guild fighting back. However, this statement in the piece is pretty funny.
On the other side, the National League of Cities, the National Association of County & City Health Officials, the International Municipal Lawyers Association and the League of California Cities supported the city, saying the new rule was necessary to fight obesity.
Remember, these are the health Nazis making this argument.

So, let's take a look. A rule requiring fast food restaurants to put the calorie contents on a menu is going to fight obesity. Ok, how? I am assuming they are aiming at people like my fat behind with this law, trying to get me to eat healthier. So what do fat people think? Do they think this has even the most remote chance in hell?

Personally, no friggin' chance. I eat fast food quite often. And ya know what? If you want to diet to lose weight, the first thing you cut out are fast food joints. It is almost like posting a sign in a bar advertising what has alcohol in it so the member of Alcoholics Anonymous can avoid drinking. Now, I don't drink so I have no use for AA itself, but isn't like one of the first rules avoid bars? You know that saying, "Preaching to the choir?" Well, in this case, it would be the opposite, "Preaching to the demons." (Not that alcoholics or fat people are demons in any way; if anything, the other side are the demons. I mean, demons want to possess your soul or something right? I am sure a health demon possessing my soul would make me avoid fast food. Just a thought.) The people that frequent fast food don't give a dang about health warnings. Frankly, McDonald's and Burger King offering healthy options are more for the minority in a group, that one health nut hanging out with a bunch of fat people. (I truly understand this because I am the minority when I hang out with friends in a bar.)

Thankfully, this judge used some common sense. Now if only we could get rid of these dang interest groups. See, I don't have a problem with a group of people getting together to preach a message. I do have a problem when that group of people buy politicians to pass laws restricting what everybody else does. If they don't want to eat fast food, they can follow my example regarding alcohol. It is very easy to not drink when you avoid bars and don't order wine with dinner. Likewise, it is very easy to avoid fast food calories by not eating at McDonald's and making all your meals at home. Wow, amazing. A solution to the health Nazis problem in two seconds. Oh wait, I forgot to add that the health Nazis need to leave everybody else alone and not try to solve our weight problem. Other than one-size-fits-all chairs in government buildings, I am generally not that inconvenienced or actually, an inconvenience to a health Nazi.

I wonder what they do that I don't like that I could get banned. Not because I believe in banning things, but just so they could feel how I do. Hmm...I wonder if I could get a gun and show up to their homes with a label maker, putting obvious signs on everything. "Caution: Oven has hot stuff come out that makes you full." "Caution: Doing laundry can cause clothes to smell nicer." Stuff like that. (And yes, I would need a gun to be equivalent to the cop that shows up with his gun to enforce the dumb laws the health Nazis pass.)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home