Teen Unemployment Rising: Who's to Blame?
So, once again, another article, this one from the Christian Science Monitor. However, this one is better than most, but still lacking in some areas. In the article, the author discusses why teens unemployment is rising. While giving some good answers, there is still some discussion lacking.
Here is my main critique. The author says, "Many, especially in upper- or middle-class neighborhoods, have decided that academic or volunteer activities may look better on college applications." Yeah, that is good, but aren't these kids still missing out? Later in the article, the author mentions how people coming out of college aren't prepared for work. Well duh, come on. How often did the kid not work because "if I volunteer, I can get a scholarship to college!" (Then, how often does the scholarship go to the sports star rather than the oh-so caring student, or the smart ones for that matter?) Businesses need to stop looking at college as a great thing, force the bloody colleges to accept students who work their behind off, and maybe business would be better.
My second critique is that the author mentions this black kid (yep, the author made sure to mention race so I will too, just not the PC crap cause I don't know if he is really from Africa). But wait a minute, the kid is 13. Now, a good author will explain what age group is allowed to work. In Michigan, you have to be 14 to get a non-farm, non-family owned business job. I am assuming in Massachusetts, it must be 13. If not, I think I know why the kid can't find a job.
Now, the author does mention the minimum wage increase even though he does not have to. So next year, when teen unemployment goes even higher, then we can discuss the minimum wage increase. But I don't agree with this guy's economists he talked to. He needs to get out there and talk to an economist who might actually know how a business is run. Government subsidies are not the answer. Let me give you an example. I am going to take $50 out of your wallet and then to be nice, to make sure you can buy a couple movie tickets, I am going to GIVE you $35. Now, aren't I so nice? The way to really get young people into the workforce is to adjust the laws that punish young people. Get rid of the minimum wage and teens will work more. And don't say that we can't get rid of the minimum wage because who would work there. Aren't those the same dang jobs that the illegal immigrants are filling? So, kill two birds with one stone. Eliminate the minimum wage, teen employment rises, and the need for illegal aliens diminishes. Wow!
Now, would you believe that my work experience and college education has gotten me nowhere?
0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home