Friday, September 16, 2005

Sports announcers basically suck

So I am watching a football game tonight and I guess in the first quarter, one team kinda had some momentum going and decided to go for the two-point conversion and didn't get it. Ok, so in the fourth quarter, when that team is leading by 8 points, the other team scores (now the second team is only down by 2) and decides to go for the two-point conversion to tie it up, but didn't get it. So, a few plays later, one of the announcers says something to the effect that if the first team hadn't gone for two, then the second team wouldn't be able to get a field goal and be leading for the first time in the game. For a second, I was like, "ok, makes sense." But then I thought of something. If the first team hadn't gone for two in the first quarter, would the second team had gone for two in the fourth quarter? Suppose, the first team went for the point after and made it. That means at the point the second team scored and were down by two points, they would have been down by three points instead. In that situation, what coach would go for two points instead of just assuming they would get the one point from the kick? (I say assume because it is really odd for a team to miss the point after.) Any coach who went for two in that situation would frankly be a dumbass. So, I thought, "well, maybe the announcer just didn't consider his statement about the risks of going for two points cause it was a spur of the moment statement. No real big deal." That is, until the announcer said the same thing a few minutes later. This implies the guy has no grasp of strategy or else he can't figure out a situation-response scenario. Anyways, that is my mark of stupidity for this evening.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home